The first small vineyard on the estate were planted in 1476, in a location named La Lobeyra, on land owned by the Guilloche family since 1398. During the period from 1510 to 1550 many land plots were acquired by Pierre de Guilloche and his son Jean de Guilloche. Lady Roquetaillade, the heiress to the Guilloche family, sold La Louvière in 1618 to Arnaud de Gascq, abbot of the Abbey of Saint-Ferme. He donated it in 1620 to Notre Dame de Miséricorde, a Carthusian Order in Bordeaux. At this stage the property was in a poor state, but was restored by the monks. Under the monks' management, both red and white wines were produced during the early parts of the 17th century, and shipped to customers in Picardy, England and Flanders.
In November 1789, following the French Revolution, the Assemblée Nationale confiscated all church property, which included the Carthusian-owned La Louvière. Following the confiscation, property was auctioned off, and La Louvière was bought by the Bordeaux wine merchant Jean-Baptiste Mareilhac in 1791. Marheilhac also built a modern château building on the estate. The château, for which François Lhôte was the architect, is a listed historical monument since 1991.
The Mareilhac family continued as owners for most part of the 19th century. From 1911 to 1944, La Louvière was rune by Alfred Bertrand-Taquet, who was also mayor of Léognan from 1919 until the start of Second World War. After the war, La Louvière had absentee landlords and was neglected for a long period. In 1965, La Louvière was purchased by André Lurton, who embarked on restoration of both the château and of the vineyards.
Images Chateau La Louvière