G. H. Mumm & Cie, situated in Reims in northern France, is one of the largest Champagne producers.
t was founded by three brothers, Jacobus, Gottlieb and Phillip Mumm, German winemakers from the Rhine valley and G. Heuser and Friedrich Giesler on March 1st 1827. Mumm's label is famous for its red ribbon (Cordon Rouge), patterned by Georges Hermann Mumm in 1876, this ribbon resembling the French Grand Cordon of the Légion d'Honneur.
G.H. Mumm is an official sponsor of Formula 1 since 2000 and provides the champagne bottles for the podium celebrations after each race.
The company has gone through many ups and downs in its history, including a confiscation in time of war by the French state, being the owners were Germans even a century after the foundation of the house. In more recent times, the house has changed hands several times, before entering in the group Seagram, then being acquired by Allied Domecq and finally (2005) going to Pernod Ricard.