The Ruggeri winery was established in 1950 by Giustino Bisol, whose family boasts a deeply rooted, centuries-old tradition in viticulture in the Valdobbiadene area.
The place-name “Case Bisoi” (that is “the Houses of the Bisols”) is to be found on the oldest maps of the area, in the heart of the zone now known as Cartizze and once called “Chartice” or “Gardizze”. It is here, according to property/tax assessment documents in the public archives, that the Bisol family has been cultivating vines since 1542.
In the 1800s Eliseo Bisol left further documentary evidence of his activity as a distiller. Around 1920, his son Luigi Bisol, an oenologist, built a winery in Montebelluna. In 1950, Luigi’s son Giustino Bisol established the Ruggeri winery in S. Stefano di Valdobbiadene to produce and promote the semi-sparkling Prosecco and Cartizze wines. In 1993 the winery was relocated to new, large and ergonomically-designed premises.
The Prosecco Superiore DOCG grapes are usually delivered by over a hundred vine-growers. Nearly all of them have their vineyards in the municipality of Valdobbiadene, while 25 also grow Cartizze grapes. It should be noted that many of the superior vineyards lie in the historic districts of San Pietro di Barbozza. Santo Stefano and Saccol, which have always been renowned for producing the best in terms of quality. Ruggeri owns a small vineyard of Cartizze and 20 hectares on the nearby Montello, 12 of them are cultivated with Pinot Grigio and Glera (traditionally called Prosecco). About 1 hectare is dedicated to the growing of Recantina, an ancient and authochtonous red grape variety which was recovered thanks to the hard work of cooperation with the Istituto Sperimentale Per la Viticoltura di Conegliano (School of Viticulture of Conegliano). The Ruggeri winery is well equipped to cope with the considerable harvest; it has two fully independent lines for receiving the grapes and 5 ‘soft’ presses, thereby ensuring separation of the various vineyard harvests also at the busiest times. The production has been stable for approximately 20 years at around one million bottles a year, 60% of which are distributed in Italy and the remainder in 20 foreign countries.