Lornano is a farm owned by the same family since 1904, located on the hills southeast of Castellina in Chianti, on the border between Castellina and Monteriggioni and is a member of the "Consorzio del Marchio Storico Chianti Classico Gallo Nero" since its foundation in 1924.
The winery practices a model of sustainable agriculture which promotes environmental balance and preserves natural resources. At Lornano we produce high quality wines without the use of chemical fertilizers and herbicides, using only minimal amounts of added sulfites.
The property extends for more than 180 hectares of which 70 are vineyards. 80% of vineyards is made of 15 different clones of Sangiovese, carefully selected, which express all the authentic characters of this ancient and incredible grape. The remaining 20% is cultivated with Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, with a small percentage of white grapes of Trebbiano and Malvasia, used for the production of our famous Vin Santo DOC. Lornano's vineyards are characterized by different soils and microclimates, at an altitude of 300 meters above sea level.
The wine is exclusively produced with grapes from the vineyards of the estate, vinified in a modern cellar with steel tanks at controlled temperature and aged in French oak barrels in the ancient underground aging cellar, protected from sudden changes in temperature.
Harvesting, which usually takes place between the end of September and the middle of October, is mainly done by hand through a careful selection of grapes. At the beginning of 2010, with the impulse of the fourth generation of the family, Nicolò and Galileo Pozzoli, under the direction of our enologists and consultants Franco and Matteo Bernabei, Fattoria Lornano completed the renovation of the vineyards, of the new barrique cellar and of the new warehouse. In 2013 Lornano was among the first 30 selected Chianti Classico wineries to start producing the new Gran Selezione appellation and in 2014 launched the new IGT Rosato Toscana Etèl made with only Sangiovese grapes ... and continues to develop new projects thanks to its passion for this unique territory.