Château Prieuré-Lichine was originally a priory: Cantenac Priory, founded by monks in the 12th century. Early on, it was dedicated to the production of wines whose reputation had spread far and wide even at that time. The Château only became a winery in its own right after the French Revolution. Prieuré-Lichine was recognised in the imperial classification of 1855, where it was ranked fourth cru. For many years, the wine's reputation was carried by a charismatic owner named Alexis Lichine. He was nicknamed The Pope of wine on account of his personality, his energy, his passion for wine and his innovative spirit. He acquired the vineyard in 1951 and gave it its current name. More than 50 years later -- the winery having reached new heights in the quality of its soil and reaping the benefits of modern infrastructures -- it is now the Ballande family's turn to indulge their passion for the estate and to oversee the future of this grand Margaux, whose existence is orchestrated by Justin Onclin and his team. Working 70 hectares of vines, essentially made up of fine gravel and clay, the team produces fine, elegant, delightful wines that are powerful without being overpowering -- in keeping with the characteristics of the appellation. The winery has voluntarily chosen a policy of stringent parcel selection, and is thus able to guarantee consumers wines with strong character that may be enjoyed young or after several decades, aged in the bottle.
Chateau Prieure'-Lichine pictures