Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey is a vineyard estate located in the heart of the Sauternes region on high ground near the village of Bommes.
The merits of its white dessert wines have been well known since the 1855 classification in which it ranked among the Sauternes Premier Crus. But the origins of Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey are really much older than that. Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey’s oldest stones, cut from quarries in neighbouring Ciron, date from the 13th century.
In 1855, when the classification of Bordeaux wines - the immutable hierarchy of the grands crus of the Médoc and Sauternes – was made, Château Haut-Brion, was the only wine from the Graves region that was included. 60 Médoc crus were created by the Bordeaux brokers as well as 21 crus from Sauternes.These latter were divided into three categories: one Premier Cru Supérieure (Château d’Yquem), Premier and Second Crus. Lafaurie was in the second group of nine Sauternes Premiers Crus.
From 1998 to 2004, an ambitious renovation program led to the restoration of the entire installation, cellars and château. The technical buildings were entirely updated to conform to new regulatory and environmental requirements. Now that the wine storage facilities are entirely climate and humidity controlled, the maturing of this Grand Vin takes place under optimal conditions.
Chateau Lafaurie-Peyraguey pictures