Acquired by Stephan von Neipperg in late 1998, Château d’Aiguilhe is one of the finest and most beautiful vineyards in the Castillon-Côtes de Bordeaux appellation. Located back from the river, the château's dignified ruins bear witness to a long and turbulent history.
Formerly the heart of a fortified farm, the château dates from the 13th century. Everything leads us to believe that the Aiguilhe seigneury was vast, with several large fiefs. Located on the frontier between areas occupied by the French and English during the Hundred Years' War, the château had a major strategic role and changed allegiance regularly according to the political tendencies of the seigneur... Later on, the château belonged to the Albret family, then the Leberthons, who contributed several members of the Bordeaux parliament. Before emigrating on the eve of the French Revolution, the Leberthons sold the estate to a certain Etienne Martineau, who transformed it into a huge 400-hectare farm in a single block that stayed in his family until 1920.
Images Chateau d'Aiguilhe