John-Lewis Brown (1769-1851) acquired the estate in the early 19th century and decided to build in the village of Cantenac, a Tudor style chateau reminiscent of his Scottish origins. The building is one of the most unusual in Médoc region and is surrounded by a remarkable English-style ground.
The quality of the wine was acknowledged in the 1855 classification, when Château Cantenac Brown was included into the growths. The Bordeaux winemerchant and owner of several estates in Médoc, Louis Armande Lalande (1820-1894), extended the building, keeping the same architecture.
Chateau Cantenac Brown pictures