Located on the western shore of Islay Island, in the bay of Loch Indaal, not far from the city of Port Charlotte and the Bowmore Distillery, Bruichladdich is by far the most distinctive distillery in the other Islay sisterhoods.
John, Robert and William Harvey founded the distillery in 1881 using the legacy left by their father, one of Glasgow's largest distillers, to build the most modern distillery of the time. The company revealed its pioneering and modern nature from the materials used for construction, in fact, an experimental cement was used, created with the beach pebbles and the inter-wall walls. The Harvey family continued to distill whiskey at Bruichladdich until 1929 when the distillery closed for the first time.
In 1938, the distillery was sold to Hatim Attari, Joseph W. Hobbs and Alexander W. Tolmie who managed it until 1952, when Ross & Coulter ltd took over. AB Grant instead found the distillery in 1960, doubling its production and bringing Bruichladdich to produce about one million liters per year. In 1968, Invergordon Distillers acquired the distillery by increasing its production in 1975. The olives go from 2 to 4 and carry the distillery to produce 1 and a half gallons a year. In 1993, Invergordon Distillers was absorbed by White & Mackay and Bruichladdich was closed two years later.
In 2000, a private investor group, led by Murray McDavid (independent bottler), spent nearly 8 million euros to buy a distillery and a stock of 7,000 barrels. Jim McEwan (formerly Bowmore) is invested in master of distillers and production manager. In 2001 after a major renovation work (most of the original Victorian furniture was restored), the distillery resumes production and in 2003 its bottling line was built. Finally in 2012 the distillery passes into the hands of French company Rémi Cointreau.
Today, Bruichladdich's entire production is designed to create cold melted single malt without the addition of colorants, and all the barley used is exclusively Scottish and organic.