The Allegrini family has lived for generations in Fumane, a town situated some 18 km (11 miles) northwest of Verona, in the heart of the Valpolicella Classica. Since the beginning of the 16th century, the family has played a leading role in the development of this prestigious wine-growing territory.
In 1557, Allegrino Allegrini acquired the rights to use selected springs called fontanelle or sorzive in Mazzurega, a village in the town of Fumane, to irrigate his properties. Mazzurega is a hamlet of Fumane and the place where one of the most beautiful Allegrini vineyards, Fieramonte, is located. Legal documentation from the period shows that between 1616 and 1630 his family became one of the largest landowners in Fumane.
Like his ancestors before him, the founder of the new generation, Giovanni Allegrini, was intensely proud of
being part of the Valpolicella, an area to which he dedicated a great deal of energy and resources.
He was the first to question local viticultural techniques, revolutionizing accepted and routine practices, and speaking out clearly in favour of quality.
After Giovanni and his son Walter, another wine-maker of great sensibility, the company passed into the hands of Marilisa and Franco, who also became heirs to their goals and aspirations. As a result, the interplay and ‘symbiosis’ between past and the present continues to be a distinctive feature of the Allegrini family.