The Glengoyne or Burnfoot (original name) was founded in 1833 by the Edminstone family. It is located about 15 km north of Glasgow at the base of Dumgoyne Hill in the scenic Trossachs region. Its location is very special because it is located on the border between the Lowlands and Highlands region, straddling Qeull ache is called the Highland Line.
The Edminstone family sold the distillery in 1850 to the MacLelland family, who sold it in 1876 to Lang Bros, a Glasgow blend company. The Lang Bros after the acquisition changes the name of the distillery that from Burnfoot becomes Glen Guine and that in 1905 will become Glengoyne.
Glengoyne starts its production as a Lowlands distillery, in fact despite the two initial stills here the whiskey is distilled three times. In 1885 the distillery was visited by Alfred Barnard who reported that the beautiful location at the foot of a romantic waterfall is very scenic, that the production is 200,000 liters of alcohol a year and that, "the spirits were distilled three times".
The Glengoyne distillery remains the property of Lang Bros until 1965, when it was sold to Bobertson & Baxter, a whiskey broker company in Glasgow that also had a stake in the Highland Distilleries. The new porprietà restructures the distillery and adds a third alembic.
For the Edrington Group, however, the Glengoyne distillery is not a priority and decides to concentrate its work in other distilleries and the Glengoyne is thus resold to Ian MacLeod Distilleries Ltd, in 2003, for 7.2 million pounds.
Until the 1970s, the character of the distillery was recognized as a product of Lowland, but for many years now, Glengoyne has impsoted its work on double distillation and its whiskeys today are single malt with a typical character of the Highland, the distillery performs a combination of different fermentations with a time ranging from 56 to 110 hours, while distillation is extremely slow.