The Glenfarclas distillery is located in Ballindalloch in the open countryside and at the foot of Ben Rinnes, far more than a distillery looks like a farmhouse, this particular architecture derives for the most part from the origins of a small local distillery.
Founded in 1836 by local farmer Robert Hay, who started to produce whiskey for herringbirds, Glenfarclas started its production as a handicraft distillery. After about 20 years, at the death of Hays, the distillery passed to John Grant; at that time John Grant, a cattle rancher, was looking for an ideal place for herd breeding that was halfway between her farm at Glenlivet and the neighboring Elgin market, Hay's farm was perfect and in the lease agreement also came the purchase of the distillery. Grant preferred to focus on the breeds of Aberdeen Angus breeders rather than in whiskey so Glenfarclas was subleted to John Smith (a relative) but after five years left the farm to devote himself to a creature of the Cragganmore. After Smith's abandonment, the management returned to the Grant family. In 1896, Grant sold 50% of the distillery to Leyton Pattison Elder & Company, and founded Glenfarclas-Glenlivet while expanding the distillery. In 1899, Pattison Elder & Company was sentenced for fraud and fined, but the Glenfarclas who returned completely in the hands of the Grant family survives.
In 1960, the distillery increased its production capacity by carrying the 2 to 4 yamas and in 1973 opened a visitor center (one of the first distilleries to open one), and in 1976, thanks to the high demand of whiskey, two other achis are added.
It is currently the fifth and sixth generation of Grant to manage the company, one of the few in the private sector.