Domaine François Carillon is the heritage of the Carillon family, present on the lands of Puligny-Montrachet since the 16th century. The logo currently used was found on a stone engraved in 1632 in a cellar of the village.
The Carillon wines have been for years in the elite of the Great White Wines of Burgundy. Adorned by specialized critics and present on the cards of prestigious restaurants around the world, Domaine Carillon produces racy white wines, elegant, fruity while perfectly embodying the terroir whose chardonnays come from.
With 15 generations of farmers behind him, François Carillon has worked in the field since 1988 alongside his father and his brother. Its activity is mainly related to the cultivation of vines. Passionate about the job, he has always wanted to bring an irreproachable quality and get closer to organic cultures.
Today separated from his brother, François Carillon works with as much ardor and passion around his team composed of Jean-Michel, Fred and Laurence. It operates an area of 6.5 hectares. The succession seems assured with its 4 children Mathis, Paul, Clément and Elisa who, if they are too young today, still have a few years to immerse themselves in the Carillon culture and to learn the know-how of their Father.
The CARILLON branch goes back in direct line with Jean Carillon, farmer born in 1520.
Since then, the men of the family take over the estate and it is notably Antoine, Jacques, Claude, Jean (master cooper), Philippe, François, Robert and Louis who succeed each other on the lands of Puligny-Montrachet.
Around 1700 hillsides are planted with vines. We move on to polyculture with the vine in paisseaux, it is the time of the provignage, entirely manual culture.
At that time, the winery Carillon produces ordinary wines sold to workers in industrial cities of the Creusot, Epinac-les-Mines, Montceau-les-Mines, Chalon-sur-Saone, Autun. The expedition is done by car on horseback, by water of the Saone then by the canals.
With the arrival of the railway around 1850, it is the beginning of freight shipments on Dijon, Besançon, Paris, Brussels, Frankfurt .. to a private clientele and some resellers.
In 1879, with the arrival of the phylloxera grape plantations are grafted online, cultivated by plow. Thanks to the presentations of the agricultural schools of Fontaine and Baume to the fairs with Puligny-Montrachet (decree of November 27, 1879), it is the beginning of the trellising.
1893: year of drought, the harvest ends in August
1910: the general flood in France deprives the Carillon family of any harvest in Puligny. After the First World War, the whole village is fallow, you have to replant everything in pinot fins.
1929: this very great year is accompanied by the first bottling and a more significant stake at the end of the 1939-1945 war. In the meantime the AOCs begin to appear in 1936. Then come the sale in casks to the merchants of Beaune, Nuits-Saint-Georges, Macon, Bordeaux.
1960: arrival of straddle tractors. This is the end of polyculture, and the estate claims its specialization in Chardonnay with the sale of all harvests and international sales. Our vines are fully cultivated, and a reasoned fight for the treatments intensifies. The harvest is then always manual, the traditional breeding, and the bottling is done after 18 months spent in cellar. Our wines are aged in oak barrels.
1988: François integrates his work in the vineyard alongside his father Louis Carillon and his brother Jacques who stays in the cellar.
2010: the two brothers share the property to exploit each their own land.
François Carillon pictures