The history of Château Rahoul began in 1646, when Chevalier Guillaume Rahoul was responsible for the construction of this pretty chartreuse, and gave it its name. In a fitting tribute, the label features the Chevalier’s coat of arms, which is still displayed today on the fireplace in the salon.
After the French Revolution, the estate passed to the Balguerie family, who were highly influential negociants and shipowners on the Place de Bordeaux, who extended and renovated the Château and developed the vineyard in order to sell the wines on the Place de Bordeaux.
A vine-growing estate since the 18th century, Château Rahoul would not be sold in bottle until the 1970s, when the estate was acquired by David Robson, an Englishman with a passion for Bordeaux wines, who completely restructured the vineyard and proved his desire to create premium quality wines at Rahoul. In the early 80s, the remarkable quality of the white wines was responsible for its remarkable ascent among the Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux.
Further to a spell of Australian and Danish ownership, Alain Thiénot acquired the estate in 1986.