The history of this Chateau began with the union of the two families, Lafon and Rochet, who owned the land. Château Lafon-Rochet is a producer located in the famous Saint-Estèphe appellation in Bordeaux. The wine produced by Lafon Rochet is one of the fourteen Quatrièmes Grand Cru Classé in the historic official classification of Bordeaux wines dating back to 1855.
Lafon Rochet chateau consists of 45 hectares planted with cabernet sauvignon, merlot, cabernet franc and petit verdot in order to obtain the optimal blend for the interpretation of the vintage. In addition to the 4éme Grand Cru Classé, the first homonymous wine of the chateau, a second wine is also produced, the fruit of the grapes from the younger vines, and called Les Pelerins de Lafon-Rochet.
Originally the wines of Lafon Rochet were known for their hardness and strength, which in recent years has been mitigated through a greater use of merlot in the most recent years. Over the centuries the Chateau has experienced moments of splendor and decadence during the French revolution.
In 1960, however, the Tesseron family bought the summer, restructuring it from the top to bottom. Lafon Rochet was in fact the first castle of Médoc to be completely rebuilt in the 20th century.
Currently the maison is run by Alfred Tesseron, owner of Château Pontet-Canet, 81 hectares of clayey-calcareous soil, in the heart of the denomination Pauillac, biodynamic cultivation, able to give excellent original enterprise of the Tesseron family.
The Tesseron is a real institution; Abel Tesseron created the first Cognac of the company in 1905, even in fact they had two distinct properties, one located in the Great Champagne area and the other in the Petite Champagne area.
Château Lafon-Rochet pictures