The Balblair distillery is located near the town of Edderton in the Northern Highlands on the shores of Dornoch Firth Bay, it is the second oldest working distillery in Scotland.
Founded in 1790 by John Ross who soon made it a thriving business, the distillery remained the property of the Ross family until 1894 when it was bought by Alexander Cowan. Cowan, in order to expand the distillery and to have direct access to the railway, moved it from its original site and rebuilt it near the Edderton railway station a few kilometers from the old one.
In 1950 the Balblair was acquired by Robert James "Bertie" Cumming, a lawyer from Banff, for 48,000 pounds. While its distillate became an important part of famous blends such as Bell and White & Mackay Cumming certainly did not remain with hands in hand and expanded the distillery and increasing production. In 1970 Cumming sold Balblair to the Hiram Walker (Allied Distillers) and retumed to private life. The distillery passed in 1996 to the Inver House Distillers Ltd which has been controlled by Pacific Spirits since 2001.