The earliest records of Borgo di Lilliano date back to the Middle Ages. It was then a fortified complex comprising the Church of Santa Cristina characteristic single large nave (unusual for the churches of Chianti). The façade, characterized by a alberese well preserved, is original. The imposing building of the farm overlooking the village.
The complex was owned by the Marquis of Tuscany, then the Abbey of Poggibonsi and the Hospital of Santa Maria Nuova in Florence. Then it was called the Palace of Santa Maria Nuova in Ligliano.
Lilliano has known sieges and destruction during the wars between Siena and Florence due to its location on the border between the territories of two large and quarrelsome republics and its proximity to important strongholds such as Staggia, Castellina in Chianti, Monteriggioni.
So, while remaining the clear medieval structure in the topography, the cellars and walls, the architecture is passed, in various phases current eighteenth century appearance. The bottling and marketing of wine was begun in 1958 by Eleonora Princess Ruspoli Berlingieri, whose family bought the estate in 1920. Giulio and Pietro Ruspoli are the current owners.
Tenuta di Lilliano Galerie