The Wine House of Fontana Candida, following a long period under family management, became a company in 1958. It has its headquarters on the hill of Fontana Candida, in a hamlet which sprang up in the area where once was erected an impressive Roman villa which possibly belonged to the poet Quintus Orazio Flacco. Near the ancient Roman villa many water pipes arrived, coming from Monte Porzio, the name “Candida” can derive either from a play on the name “Calida” or “Canicha”, that is warm, or from the colour of the water.
The area is Monteporzio (Mons Portii), birthplace of Marco Porcio Catone The Censor (243-149 B.C.) who, in his “de Agricultura”, prove his love for his land and of how the vine was cultivated here since time immemorial: “Plant the vineyard in the best place, in this way following the tradition of the forefathers, so that the grape may, in due course, turn into wine”.
Fontana Candida is situated at the heart of the Doc area of Frascati, the ancient Agro Tuscolano (the name of which derives from the pre-Roman town of Tusculum) which includes the communes of Grottaferrata, Frascati and Monteporzio Catone, as well as parts of Rome and Montecompatri and which produces the very famous “white wine” beloved and praised by Popes, princes and poets.