The Castello di Bossi is located in Castelnuovo Berardenga, on the road that leaves the old Chiantigiana road, at Pianella, and ascends to Brolio amidst evergreen forests and long rows of vines. With its centuries-old trees, its fossil beds, and richly varied native vegetation, this unique spot has always aroused curiosity, even in remote times, and experts have studied its characteristics.
The name Bossi would seem to derive from the money chest which the Roman army would carry to its encampments to pay the soldiers; the word probably refers to the boxwood, a rare and prized wood at that time, from which the chest was built. Inscriptions dating from the 1st and 2nd centuries AD, discovered in an ancient wall of the canonry in San Marcellino, indicate that this area was the site of a Roman settlement. The first reliable evidence of families dwelling in the Bossi area dates to the 9th century, when a noble family, the dei Berardenghi, settled there. Winigi and his wife Richilda enjoyed a lengthy rule over the territories they owned; they then decided to withdraw into private life and donated to religious institutions their fiefs and properties. They kept, however, the properties which today surround the castle. Bossi was a specific locale and was mentioned as such in a 1099 donation deed by Azzo di Rustico to the monastery of Fontebona.
Bossi’s church, dedicated to Sant’Andrea, was built later, possibly around 1200, to afford improved spiritual care to the inhabitants of the growing village. His policies made it a politically liberal state, and commercial, cultural, and civic life flourished.Giovanni Battista Vivarelli, heir to Isabella, the last of the Ugurgeri, transferred the Castel estate to the Sienese jurist Giuseppe Giuggioli, whose family retained the property up until World War II, when it was purchased by the Piccolomini family of Siena. The abolition of the mezzadria, or sharecropping, system, led to a population shift away from the country and to a consequent crisis in the agricultural sector. Bossi, too, underwent a slow decline until it was acquired by the present owners, the Bacci family.
These forward-looking proprietors introduced modern production methods and better management practices, leading to a rebirth for the Castello.
Castello di Bossi pictures